Repository Server Setup

Mar 3, 2011 at 4:24 PM

Hello and thank you for the very interesting extension!

I would like to setup the basic server implementation in my local Win7 machine, but unfortunately im not very familiar with setting up ISS.

I would be very thankful if someone could help me out with a short instruction to use the server deployment package.

thanks in advance

Jul 29, 2011 at 8:09 PM

I managed to get it working, so I decided to share:

1. Copy the contents of C:\Extensions\VsxFactory Strategies Repository Server\Content\D_C\Data\Projets\Codeplex.VsxFactory\VsPrivateGallery\RepositoryServer\obj\Debug\Package\PackageTmp (after unzipping  VsxFactory Strategies Repository Server.zip) to an specific folder X.

2. Create a Website 

2a. In IIS Manager, right click Add Site, choose a Site Name, set the physical path to your specific folder X, set the Host Name, and click OK.

2b. Convert the folder into a Web Application (not sure if it's needed)

3. If you try to access it right now, (http://yourserver/X/VsixGallery/VsixGallery.svc/Packages), you'll get an error : "The resource cannot be found." This is not very straight-forward, but it means you don't have an App_Data folder containing an Extensions folder, which will contain your VS Extensions. Create App_Data in the root folder of your Application, and inside it create another named Extensions. Put your vsix files inside there. (Maybe the developer thought everyone would open the source code to check before using the extension, so they would figure out the App_Data/Extensions thing)

Your root folder will be like this:

• X/App_Data/Extensions
  • X/Bin
  • X/VsixGallery
  • LICENSE.txt
  • Web.config

4. Install Visual Studio Private Extension Gallery Extension in your client machine.

5. Go to Tools -> Options -> Environment Tab -> Extension Manager (private)

6. Type a name for your Gallery, and set http://yourserver/X/VsixGallery as source. 

7. Click Add.

8. Go to Tools -> Extension Manager, and check your private gallery

9. Voila!